Maximize your digital media skills!
A Digital Media Club is a group of 2-5 people wanting to learn a specific digital media skill, like Photoshop, Animation, or Web Development. We help people of all ages create and invent with digital tools, and ultimately become more digitally savvy.
HOW IT WORKS
We create Digital Media Clubs for any age group:
- Junior High
- High School
We help each Digital Media Club decide what they want to create, and what software they want to create with. We all work together, side by side, and help you learn.
Projects might include:
- A collage of family photos for a parent, relative, or friend
- A written story that we help you record, animate (e.g., your own drawings—either digital or hand-drawn), put to music, and upload to YouTube
- A digitally-designed photobook using Blurb.com
- Any kind of video project
- An iPod app
- A website (WordPress, Drupal, Dreamweaver)
- A set of character animations for videogames or movies using Blender animation software (see Blender description below*)
Once a group is formed, then we can set up a time and place to meet (once a week, once every 2 weeks) that works for everyone. Locations we like: The ITTC building at UNI or the Cedar Falls Public Library.
WHAT YOU NEED
A laptop, preferably with Adobe Photoshop software, although we can help you download open source alternatives like Gimp, Audacity, and Blender.
WHAT IT COSTS
WHO TO CONTACT
Valyn Reinig, Digital Collective President, firstname.lastname@example.org
*Blender Animation: Please specify if you’re particularly interested in character animation. Some of our Digital Collective members specialize in Blender, an open source character animation tool that you can download for free from the Internet. Anything you see in Pixar or videogames can be reproduced, more or less, in Blender, and it’s a great way to learn beginning animation.
For a Blender Digital Media Club, the following is helpful but not necessary.
- A mouse with a scroller control
- Some sort of numeric keyboard on the computer…. you can always attach an external numeric keyboard